Sunday, September 23, 2007

Prescott Gilmore Race

This weekend, Clint and I drove up to Prescott at 3:30AM Saturday morning (how does Clint get up that early every day?? I was dying.) and drove out w/ our bikes and kayak. Monte was already up there, he camped out the night before. Once we got to the TA, we set up their equipment and scouted the area for a bit. I was bummed that I couldn't do this one with them. I think they were kind of excited though. They won't admit it, but I know they wanted to go their speed and see what place they would take. Below is the very start of the race. They had to go running up to find their maps--plot their points, and then choose their own path to the finish.
It rained for 7 1/2 of the 8 hours we were there. It was FREEZING. I ended up being totally ok not running this race--I stayed nice and toasty in the car. There were some pretty great rainbows all day, too!

Here is Clint plotting their trek path. He is so cute.

Monte waiting for Clint to finish plotting....

In this picture, Clint is getting ready to drink this terribly nasty stuff that is full of electrolytes....it tastes like salt water. So gross.

Ok funny story here. Before they cross the finish line, they have to climb this wall. It was so wet and slippery, but Clint decides to try the "run and jump" technique anyways. I so wish I had it on camera. So he runs, and I'm all set with the camera--praying inside that he doesn't totally biff it. His foot hits the board and you could hear it slip...he somehow ends up BELLY-FLOPPING--totally--legs flying out behind him and arms spread out like he's trying to fly. He landed face first on the ground and sits up w/ mud all over him. I was trying so hard not to laugh--and once I realized he was ok, I lost it laughing. They ended up making it by using a rope and anchoring it to climb over.

OK this is me sitting in the car being wimpy and staying out of the rain while they got everything loaded up into the car.

We ended up heading home around 4pm, and Clint and Monte actually did really well. They finished third and had an absolute blast. Clint hasn't stopped talking about it.



9 comments:

Jalei & Lane said...

How do yall have energy to do all these races??! Lane & I signed up for a measly 5k & didn't even show!

Debbie said...

I am seriously so impressed that you guys do all this stuff. You make us look totally boring and really lazy!!

Jenni said...

It looks so beautiful, I LOVE the rain! That is so cool that you guys do these things together!

Regina said...

Wow, I am totally impressed with ya'll. You are so cool. Seriously.

Jason and Kate said...

I agree with Debbie! Missed you at the tri in the pines. Love your blog.

Katherine Young said...

i too agree with everyone else, i am very impressed yall do all of this. if i go jogging im impressed with myself. i dont know how yall do it. haha.

Chelsie said...

you and clint are machines!!! hey how did you get such a cute blog template?? Post me a message back on our blog!! we want to come over to see the house.

eyre blog said...

mmmm bop. You wimped out and sat in the car!

Clint, Marianne, Sage, Charlotte, Emery and Ivy said...

Answer to you all:

No kids. That's how we do it! I'm sure that in six months, all of our fun adventure races will come to a screaming halt!! :)