Saturday, December 22, 2007

Last day of School

OK no picture with this post, but I have a short story that is so cool. There is a little guy named Benson in my class--he lived in an orphanage for a long time and then was finally adopted. A year later, his dad died. Mom has had a hard time managing him--as he is a very angry little boy. Since 2nd grade at our school, he has gone from kicking and punching his teachers to being my favorite. Yesterday, our last day of school before break, I had my kids reflect on what Christmas meant to them. They wrote a short parapgraph and read them to the class. Check out what Benson wrote. (...original spelling so you can see you fun my job is!)

The tru meaning of Christmas. (with a picture of a baby and "Jesus Christ the sun of god" written next to it.)
The tru meaning of Christmas is to give and to share love or gifts. Christmas is also aboute the birth of Jesus Crist thats why its called Christmas. With out our savoir then we wold not be here. We celabrate Christmas to show gratitued to our savoir. Christmas is also about sharing with friends of famly. When Jesus was a boy three kings gave him three pressents thats were our pressents come from. The last meaning about Christmas is that we should all cellabrate Christmas because it was when our savoir was born.
from Benson.

Isn't that cool? I almost cried when he stood and read it. It was great to see that most of the kids really did know that there was more to Christmas than presents and food. It was a great "I'm glad to be a teacher" moment. (one of the only ones I've had this year!!!)

4 comments:

Jalei & Lane said...

What a sweet story!

Jason and Kate said...

Out of the mouth of babes comes great words! How cute!

Tiffany said...

I loved that story! : ) Thats the good thing about teaching older kids...my kindergarteners say pretty funny things sometimes, but they would never come up with something so sweet as that! ; )

Monson Family said...

that is a really sweet story. I'm so glad that little boy has a family now!