Monday, February 16, 2009

All thanks to cousin Kelly. Or is it Kelley?

I'm a few days late with this Valentine's post, but who cares? Every Vday I think back to four years ago when Clint popped the question. It's quite the story, if I do say so myself. Or at least I think it is. So if you haven't heard it, here it is.

My cousin Kelly was in town visiting.....scoping out my room mates.....:) and called me up on my way home from work. It was after 8:30 and I had just finished teaching back to back classes, the last of which was kickboxing. So, I was sweaty and gross and in major need of a shower. He called to let me know that he was catching a plane out that night and needed a ride to the airport. Of course I was more than happy to do it, but really, what I really wanted to do was shower and go to bed. So, I ran home to shower and met Kelly there. When I got out of the shower and came into my room in my pj's and ugly glasses, he was rifling through my closet looking at my clothes. I couldn't figure out why, and he just said he didn't want me getting cold. I assured him I'd be fine since I wasn't getting out of the car in my pajama's. So off we go. On our way out, he asked if we could drop by a friend's house to pick up some boxes that he needed to take on the plane with him to Houston. When he told me where his friend lived--way out in Las Sendas-- I told him there was no way we would make it to the airport in time. He insisted though and told me that if he didn't catch this flight he'd take the next one. He's a pilot, so I didn't question him. So we're headed to Las Sendas and pull up to this beautiful house. I sit in the car and Kelly heads inside to pick up his "boxes", when I look up to see him at my door. He says he needs help carrying them out. I was pretty annoyed. I knew how I looked and did not want to see any of his friends. Anyway...I get out and grudgingly follow him into this million dollar home. His "friends" are all there, and ask if we want a tour of the house. What? I was totally annoyed now. It was like 10pm, I was mad b/c Clint hadn't called me yet and I knew I wasn't going to see him, yadda yadda yadda. So Kelly tells the guy that we're in a bit of a hurry to catch a flight and this guy says, "well you've at least got to check out our view from the roof". At this point, in my head I'm thinking that this guy is a total show off and I just wanted to leave. But I didn't want to be rude, so I follow them both up these stairs that lead to the roof. On the way up, I remember Kelly turning around and mouthing to me "this guy is weird" and giving me a look like, what the heck are we doing? Then we get to the roof and low and behold---there's Clint in a suit and tie, holding roses and leaning against the fence with one hand in his pocket looking very GQ. I turned to Kelly and hit him. I was 100% shocked. Clint had told me he had to work late that night and I didn't question it. Kelly and his "friend" went back inside and Clint took over from there. There was music playing and a candlelit dinner all set up. I'll leave out the mushy "Will you marry me" speech he gave, but it was pretty great.

So after the fact, I got the whole story out of Kelly. Turns out he called Clint up Vday morning and said something along the lines of, "So are you going to ask my cousin to marry you, or what?" So really, if you think about it, I'm married all thanks to cousin Kell. Clint had it in his head that he couldn't propose b/c we were both pretty broke and he couldn't afford a ring. Kelly assured him that he was being crazy and helped him plan the whole thing. Clint was planning to propose w/out a ring...which is what I was expecting. But Kelly again came to the rescue and told him that he would be a putz if he didn't show up with something. So they went to Wal-Mart and picked out a very simple ring, that to this day it hasn't turned my finger green or anything. And you know what? I love my ring. I'm not much of a jewelry person, and when he and I talk about spending money now to buy a real one, I really don't care for one. Maybe one day, when money isn't such a big part of our lives, but for now-there are a million other more important things I would use the money for. So..thank you Kelly for telling Clint to propose and making me the happiest girl out there. I miss you and wish you'd move back to the states where you belong. :)

10 comments:

Brad and Laurie said...

Very nice story. So what did he do for you this Vday, now that your dad is not doing a very good job of remembering to do something (although, if you recall, he used to when you lived where you could be seen and felt)? love, and very happy Vday to you:) dad

Jalei & Lane said...

So I knew the 1st part of this story, but had no idea that Kelley put Clint up to it! How sweet of him!

Regina said...

That is such a great story!

Anonymous said...

What an awesome story!!! Happy late Valentines Day :)

Amber Larsen said...

aawww how sweet... those were the days.

Jami said...

That's so sweet and very romantic. I agree about the ring. Mine is not very big, and Patrick always jokes that he hopes it real, but I wouldn't up grade for anything.

Monson Family said...

Kel really is the greatest! I had never heard that story before. Clint is a great guy too - you are very lucky.

Monson Family said...

Thanks cuz for the nice comments. But Clint really did all the hard stuff. You got a good one with him and he got the best with you. You guys rule!! If I ever lose my wings and can't fly then maybe I'll come out of the closet, change my name from Kelly to Kelley, and be a wedding planner.

Love you guys!

the tatsaks said...

Love the story!!! Clint sounds like such a great guy!

Shari said...

Thanks for telling that story again. Makes me tear up! I'm glad your cousin was around to help Clint make it a special night. Tell Kelly thanks from Mom and Dad Overton, too, would you? We got a pretty special daughter-in-law out of that deal! :)