Tuesday, December 7, 2010

My girls

I think I've said this a time or two before, but these two little gals are the best babies in the world. They play so well together. Their two favorite activities to do together are dancing (below) and reading. Sage will say, "My feet are ready to dance, mom. Let's turn on my music." And off they go. It melts my heart. My favorite part of each day is morning and night. We sit on our rocking chair, one girl on each leg, and read stories. We read library books every morning and different books from our shelf every night. They both sit there so still, sucking on their fingers and holding onto their blankies. I soak up each moment I get with them like this.

Charlotte
has been amazing lately. Tonight while I was working she played downstairs looking at books for an hour. Not a peep out of her. Just entertaining herself flipping the pages of her books and playing with her "bas" (balls). She is still my excellent eater and has become a carnivore. She loves her meat. She drinks water all day long and now wears two diapers to bed each night because she soaks through the first one no matter how early I cut off her drink supply. She sleeps 13 hours at night and at least 2 hours during the day. She follows me around pretty much every where I go. She likes to taunt Sage by taking one of Sage's toys right out from under her nose and running away. Sage never goes after it, just cries. Charlotte laughs and hides. I think it is hilarious! She jabbers on the play phone. She can sign the words {baby mommy daddy water milk scared more please thank-you} and is learning new ones all the time. She doesn't talk a ton. She says {daddy ball baby mommy} and that's pretty much it. She is the BEST snuggler. She loves to cuddle up in my neck before she goes to bed and will let me squeeze her tight for as long as I want. I love my little baby and her cheese grins so so much.


Sage
has been fabulous too. She is growing up way too fast. She often says things and I wonder, "where did you pick that up from?" For instance, the other day we went on a walk to see Christmas lights in our neighborhood, and she saw a Santa Clause man. She said, "Look mommy! It's Santa! He says ho ho ho! Merry Christmas!" Or when she heard that my mom was sick, she said, "Grandpa better give grandma Laurie medicine so she'll feel better." Random things like that all the time. She keeps me on my toes. She has said the phrase, "oh my god" several times the past few weeks and each time she says it, we have the "we don't say that" discussion. I have been racking my brain trying to figure out where she picked that up from, because we never say it here. Then as we were snuggling in bed watching 'Friends' tonight, I got my answer. They say it all the time on that show. I've really got to start watching what she hears/sees. She has begun the "but why?" phase of life, too. EVERYTHING I tell her to do gets a, "but why mom?". Like:
eat your eggs, Sage.
why?
because you need food to keep you healthy.
why?
because our bodies need food.
why?
because you'll get hungry if you don't.
why?
because your stomach won't have any food in it.
but why?

And on and on. In the beginning stages of this, I was patient and answered each "why?" the best I could. Lately though, I usually just shout, "BECAUSE I SAID SO, THAT'S WHY!" and she says, "oh. ok." :)
She is still my champion sleeper at night and naps. She is still the pickiest eater alive and also the slowest eater alive. We take sandwiches to church for the girls because we go during lunch. It takes Charlotte about 30 seconds to gobble up her sandwich. It takes Sage about an hour. This is a good habit I guess, but when we're in a hurry it drives me mad. She is still extremely organized and clean. I worry a little about how much she relies on routine and order. I know kids need routine, etc, but she becomes very agitated and upset when we do things out of order. To the extreme. For example....every night she uses mouthwash before we brush her teeth. I am not allowed to turn the light on, get the mouthwash, or help her on the stool. She has to do all these things in that exact order. If she forgets to turn the light on before she opens the cabinet door, she puts the mouthwash back, shuts the door, and starts over. Once she is on the stool, I take the mouthwash from her to help her. The other night I tried to tip it into her mouth and she was so distraught because I had the back of the bottle facing her instead of the front. We had to start over from the beginning and I had to make the front side of the bottle face her. Things like this really worry me. I know how my over anal habits are and see them in her, only magnified times 10. I'm not sure if I should really worry yet or just chalk it up to little kids being picky about things. I guess we'll see. Anyways. She is so chipper and smiley all day long. She loves to play with her cousins and friends and has turned into such a little helper around the house. I love her so much. Oh and I think she's the most beautiful girl I have ever seen.

4 comments:

Jalei & Lane said...

I wish E would sit still long enough for me to finish reading to her. It never happens! And as for Sage's OCD, how do you even correct that? Hopefully she'll grow out of it.

Jami said...

I can relate to the diaper problem. Eleanor also drinks a lot during the day. We finally started buying the night time diapers in a size 4, so she would stop leaking.

Shari said...

I think Sage's OCD is a learned habit! ;) We kind of have a routine when she's with me, but if I mess it up, she's ok with it. 'Cause she probably understands that G'ma Shari will never be organized... haha. (well, kind of haha. I wish you guys would rub off on me just a little bit!)

Tiffany said...

Aw, I love your girls :)