I am known for imagining the worst. I am always having daydreams about my kids getting kidnapped, hurt, killed. And my all time biggest fear where Clint is concerned is his dying in a car accident. He drives all over the valley for work and his phone rings off the hook, so he is almost always on the phone while driving. Clint has told me time and time again to quit daydreaming bad things. I think this sick little habit of mine is worse when I am pregnant, too. I am just always so worried that something is going to happen to someone I love. But I try to keep my thoughts happy and upbeat.
Tuesday afternoon, around 1:30 or so, I was in Queen Creek with the girls for work. We had just snapped our last photo and were on our way home. I had a nice little chat with a friend on the phone, then picked up when Clint called. I remember everything about our conversation. I'm always complaining about how badly he sweats at night, and he was finally telling me that he was going to have to start taking cold showers at night to cool his body temp down so he could sleep soundly. I was laughing. He was laughing. Then I heard a loud noise and then got no response from him. I kept saying, "Clint? Clint? You there?" Nothing. So I hung up. Given my habit of imagining the worst, my first thought was that he just got in an accident. But, I quickly dismissed that thought and replaced it with, nope, we just lost signal. He'll call me back when he can.
Little did I know that during my 15 minute drive back home, this is what had happened:
Clint was going South on Arizona Avenue in Chandler heading to a job site on Queen Creek road. There was a stalled van in the right hand lane with his flashers on. It was a green light and the two cars in front of Clint swerved and missed the van. Clint swerved but clipped the van's right rear. This spun him into oncoming traffic where he was T-boned twice. He spun again and came to a stop facing North on the opposite side of the road. Police were called. Firemen had to use the jaws of life to cut him out of his truck. He was helicoptered to the hospital.
Clint's memory of it is pretty sketchy. He says he remembers talking to me. Hitting the windshield and glass flying at him. Seeing his face in the rear-view mirror and thinking he could climb out of the truck and be ok. Looking down and thinking that the dash was way too close to him and that his left leg looked shorter than his right, but that he could still get out on his own. Looking again and seeing that his left leg was in an odd shape, and realizing he might need help getting out. Picking up his phone and calling Phil (Heidi's father in law), a man he works with. Telling Phil he had been in an accident and might need help. Phil called Heidi. Heidi called me.
I drove home. Along the 15 minute drive back home, my phone rang several times from an unknown number. I am a major phone screener and never answer calls from numbers I don't recognize. I pulled into the garage, unloaded the girls, and got a text from my friend Heidi. It read, "call me ASAP". So, I called her. Our convo went exactly like this:
Me: Hey Heidi! It's Marianne. Just got your text.
Heidi: Hey. How are you?
I'm great! How are you?
I'm ok. Clint has been in a car accident.
Who?
Clint.
Oh my gosh. How bad is it?
I don't know. I'm on my way to sit with your girls.
OK.
I immediately started crying, which upset the girls. They were crying so I tried to cool myself down a little. Seconds after hanging up with Heidi, my phone rang again. This time I answered. It was a Chandler Police Officer. This conversation was even worse.
Me: Hello?
Officer: Are you Clint Overton's wife?
Yes.
He has been in a very serious car accident. He is being loaded into the helicopter right now and taken to the Scottsdale Osborne Hospital. Do you have someone who can take you there?
Yes.
You need to hurry. I will meet you there.
Thank you.
After that phone call, I was frantic. Shaking. Hyperventilating. Out of control. I truly thought the officer meant that I'd better hurry because he was dying. I was out of my mind scared. I first called his mom. Told her through my tears what I knew and that she needed to head down there. I then called my mom and told her to come over right away. She didn't even ask what was wrong. Just said she was on her way and hung up. The girls hadn't had lunch yet so I put them in their chairs and grabbed some very random things for them to eat. Went to the bathroom. Grabbed my purse and keys and by that time Heidi was there with her kids. I left immediately.
Tried calling my dad, mom, and Zack but couldn't get through. I knew my mom was working and that Zach was with her, thought Nick might be too, so I called him. He answered and I explained the situation. I drove through my tears to Higley and Baseline, where my brother BJ was working. He had called and told me to stop at his office so he could drive me to the hospital. Although I wanted to go straight to the hospital, I knew I was in no shape to drive myself. I pulled in to his office and he and Nick went with me. It was the most excruciating drive I've ever been on. I was just on pins and needles, imagining the worst. I was picturing my life as a single mother of three without my very best friend beside me. It was torture. My brother sped the entire 40 minute drive there and dropped me off at the emergency entrance. I asked about Clint and a nurse came out to talk to me. Told me he had major leg injuries but were unsure of anything else. They wouldn't let me see him until he had an MRI and Cat Scan, and that I should wait.
So he would be ok. I knew that. And yet I was still inconsolable. I couldn't stop shaking and crying and just couldn't seem to get my emotions under control. I sat in the waiting room with BJ, Nick, my dad, my Uncle Steve, cousin Justin (also his boss at work), his brother Monte, and his parents. Each time a new person arrived I'd just loose it all over again. I was not a pretty sight. Social workers came out to talk and collect information from me. After waiting for what seemed like days, a nurse came out and called for "Clint Overton's wife". I sprang up and ran over, where she said that he was out of testing but that he was pretty banged up. They were going to stitch up his face but then I could see him before he went in for surgery. Back to waiting. After another long wait, I was finally able to go back. His mom and I made our way to him and when I saw him my emotions were all over the place. I was extremely glad to see him. Relieved that he was alive. Bursting with love for him. But at the same time, I was so sad to see him that way. He was covered in blood, white as a sheet, still. It was hard to see my big strong man like that and I just wanted to take his pain away. His plastic surgeon had stitched up his eye and nose and his leg was all wrapped and covered so we couldn't see anything. They let us bring in my dad, his dad, Uncle and cousin so they could give him a Priesthood blessing. His dad did a wonderful job and I am grateful to have the power of the Priesthood in my life. Minutes after the blessing, the Elders Quorum President from our ward came in. He is a firefighter and had heard what happened and came to see if he needed a blessing. I was amazed that people already knew and were willing to help. It was about 5:30 at this time and he was scheduled for surgery at 7:30. I decided to go back with BJ and Nick, pick up my van, grab clothes and say good bye to the girls. I had planned to make it back before he went in for surgery, but between traffic and getting everything done, it didn't happen. We spoke on the phone before he went in. I made it back to the hospital around 7:45 and his parents and I waited together in the surgery waiting room until 12:30 when his surgeon came in. He explained that his injuries were worse than they had thought. He had broken his hip and his femur. He had a plate at his hip, which had broken to the left, a rod at the femur, (his femur had busted through his skin) and four pins. Three incisions in the leg. We waited upstairs in yet another waiting room until he was wheeled into his room. He was pretty drugged up and very tired, so we didn't stick around in his room for long. His parents headed home and I bunked on a little lounge chair in the waiting room for the night. I didn't sleep a wink, but it wouldn't have mattered where I was. Sleep was not happening that night. My mind was in overdrive.
Wednesday was rough on Clint. He had major muscle spasms in his leg and lots of pain, but his nurses were great (well, most of them.) and gave him lots of good drugs. His surgeon came in that morning to check in. Told him not to touch the dressings or move. They had originally told us he would be discharged after 48 hours, so we figured we'd just let the girls see him when he got home. But the next morning they told us it wouldn't be until Saturday or Sunday. We didn't want the girls to have to wait that long to see him, so I picked them up Thursday morning and brought them down. It did not go well. I tried prepping them by telling them that daddy had owies on his face and that his leg hurt, but that he was going to be ok and to not be scared of him. We made it to his room and they wanted nothing to do with him. Charlotte especially. She cried and clung to me. We only stayed about ten minutes, then headed back home so they could spend the afternoon with Aunt Audrie. I went back to the hospital and stayed until his parents came that night.
He didn't start any physical therapy or stand until Thursday. I missed his first attempt at getting up and walking because I was getting the girls situated, but he says he made it from the foot of his bed to the door and back and that that little jaunt exhausted him. He was sweating and completely wiped out. Friday was better. He made it down the hall and back and was able to wash his hair and clean up a little. His oxygen levels were low so he spent lots of time breathing into a tube to build it back up. He was frantic about work and missing phone calls, so on Friday Justin brought a new phone to him and Clint had his calls transferred to that phone. He spent seriously all day returning phone calls and talking work. I got a little bored. :) We ended up being discharged Friday night. Wohoo! They explained medications, exercises he was supposed to do, appointments I had to make, etc. The workers comp people came in and were trying to push everything on us. They wanted us to take a hospital bed, a commode, a walker, crutches, even a in-home physical therapist. Um, no thanks. We settled on a walker and out-patient physical therapy. We have to go four days a week for twelve weeks. He can't be left alone, although I think I can strap him to his chair and make him promise not to try to get up if I need to run to the grocery store or anything. He can't put weight on it for 6-8 weeks and then will be in crutches for 6 months.




This ordeal has been a major eye opener for me. I always thought that if something ever happened to Clint, I would survive. It would be hard. I would miss him. But I would make it. Now I know that I would be DEVASTATED. Absolutely destroyed. I cannot imagine being without him. I've told him since Tuesday that I'm going to be so nice to him he's going to think something is wrong with me. All of the little things that had been getting on my nerves about him were so so petty and unimportant. I've got the best husband and best friend in the world. I am so grateful his injuries weren't worse and that he is here with me. I love him so much. I've had such a hard time with my emotions all week. Even though I know he is ok, I keep replaying everything in my head and all of those feelings just keep coming back. On top of those emotions, we have been inundated with help from family and friends. We are feeling so terribly spoiled and pampered. Our lawn has been mowed. And fertilized. And watered. We have a freezer full of meals. I've had numerous babysitting offers. People have been so willing and eager to help and it is just amazing. We really feel so guilty! Our families have been so wonderful. Within 5 minutes of my calling Nick, my entire family knew. Audrie was packing her bags and flying down from Colorado to be with me. All of my siblings were feeling my pain. They dropped everything (including paint cans) to be with me and cry with me. Aunts, uncles, cousins were texting to say they were praying. We have just felt so loved and I am bubbling over with tears because of it. We are so grateful.
So. We are home and we are happy. One day later, and Clint is already going stir-crazy. He might go mad being laid up for so long. I might too!!! He has his work phone and a lap top, thanks to his dad. He is really going to try to do some work to keep his mind occupied and stay busy. I will be running him to PT lots and doing my best to take care of him. I will have to leave him a little each day to go to work but I really think if I tell him not to try moving he will listen. So if anyone wants to come play chess or cards with him, come on over. He's going to be bored!
I'm trying not to bug him too much. It's hard because he wants to be independent and do everything on his own. I, on the other hand, want to baby him and do everything for him. I feel pretty useless not being able to help him more. I'm so glad he is here and that we get to spend lots of time together over the next few months. Thanks to everyone for your prayers and support!
Tuesday afternoon, around 1:30 or so, I was in Queen Creek with the girls for work. We had just snapped our last photo and were on our way home. I had a nice little chat with a friend on the phone, then picked up when Clint called. I remember everything about our conversation. I'm always complaining about how badly he sweats at night, and he was finally telling me that he was going to have to start taking cold showers at night to cool his body temp down so he could sleep soundly. I was laughing. He was laughing. Then I heard a loud noise and then got no response from him. I kept saying, "Clint? Clint? You there?" Nothing. So I hung up. Given my habit of imagining the worst, my first thought was that he just got in an accident. But, I quickly dismissed that thought and replaced it with, nope, we just lost signal. He'll call me back when he can.
Little did I know that during my 15 minute drive back home, this is what had happened:
Clint was going South on Arizona Avenue in Chandler heading to a job site on Queen Creek road. There was a stalled van in the right hand lane with his flashers on. It was a green light and the two cars in front of Clint swerved and missed the van. Clint swerved but clipped the van's right rear. This spun him into oncoming traffic where he was T-boned twice. He spun again and came to a stop facing North on the opposite side of the road. Police were called. Firemen had to use the jaws of life to cut him out of his truck. He was helicoptered to the hospital.
Clint's memory of it is pretty sketchy. He says he remembers talking to me. Hitting the windshield and glass flying at him. Seeing his face in the rear-view mirror and thinking he could climb out of the truck and be ok. Looking down and thinking that the dash was way too close to him and that his left leg looked shorter than his right, but that he could still get out on his own. Looking again and seeing that his left leg was in an odd shape, and realizing he might need help getting out. Picking up his phone and calling Phil (Heidi's father in law), a man he works with. Telling Phil he had been in an accident and might need help. Phil called Heidi. Heidi called me.
I drove home. Along the 15 minute drive back home, my phone rang several times from an unknown number. I am a major phone screener and never answer calls from numbers I don't recognize. I pulled into the garage, unloaded the girls, and got a text from my friend Heidi. It read, "call me ASAP". So, I called her. Our convo went exactly like this:
Me: Hey Heidi! It's Marianne. Just got your text.
Heidi: Hey. How are you?
I'm great! How are you?
I'm ok. Clint has been in a car accident.
Who?
Clint.
Oh my gosh. How bad is it?
I don't know. I'm on my way to sit with your girls.
OK.
I immediately started crying, which upset the girls. They were crying so I tried to cool myself down a little. Seconds after hanging up with Heidi, my phone rang again. This time I answered. It was a Chandler Police Officer. This conversation was even worse.
Me: Hello?
Officer: Are you Clint Overton's wife?
Yes.
He has been in a very serious car accident. He is being loaded into the helicopter right now and taken to the Scottsdale Osborne Hospital. Do you have someone who can take you there?
Yes.
You need to hurry. I will meet you there.
Thank you.
After that phone call, I was frantic. Shaking. Hyperventilating. Out of control. I truly thought the officer meant that I'd better hurry because he was dying. I was out of my mind scared. I first called his mom. Told her through my tears what I knew and that she needed to head down there. I then called my mom and told her to come over right away. She didn't even ask what was wrong. Just said she was on her way and hung up. The girls hadn't had lunch yet so I put them in their chairs and grabbed some very random things for them to eat. Went to the bathroom. Grabbed my purse and keys and by that time Heidi was there with her kids. I left immediately.
Tried calling my dad, mom, and Zack but couldn't get through. I knew my mom was working and that Zach was with her, thought Nick might be too, so I called him. He answered and I explained the situation. I drove through my tears to Higley and Baseline, where my brother BJ was working. He had called and told me to stop at his office so he could drive me to the hospital. Although I wanted to go straight to the hospital, I knew I was in no shape to drive myself. I pulled in to his office and he and Nick went with me. It was the most excruciating drive I've ever been on. I was just on pins and needles, imagining the worst. I was picturing my life as a single mother of three without my very best friend beside me. It was torture. My brother sped the entire 40 minute drive there and dropped me off at the emergency entrance. I asked about Clint and a nurse came out to talk to me. Told me he had major leg injuries but were unsure of anything else. They wouldn't let me see him until he had an MRI and Cat Scan, and that I should wait.
So he would be ok. I knew that. And yet I was still inconsolable. I couldn't stop shaking and crying and just couldn't seem to get my emotions under control. I sat in the waiting room with BJ, Nick, my dad, my Uncle Steve, cousin Justin (also his boss at work), his brother Monte, and his parents. Each time a new person arrived I'd just loose it all over again. I was not a pretty sight. Social workers came out to talk and collect information from me. After waiting for what seemed like days, a nurse came out and called for "Clint Overton's wife". I sprang up and ran over, where she said that he was out of testing but that he was pretty banged up. They were going to stitch up his face but then I could see him before he went in for surgery. Back to waiting. After another long wait, I was finally able to go back. His mom and I made our way to him and when I saw him my emotions were all over the place. I was extremely glad to see him. Relieved that he was alive. Bursting with love for him. But at the same time, I was so sad to see him that way. He was covered in blood, white as a sheet, still. It was hard to see my big strong man like that and I just wanted to take his pain away. His plastic surgeon had stitched up his eye and nose and his leg was all wrapped and covered so we couldn't see anything. They let us bring in my dad, his dad, Uncle and cousin so they could give him a Priesthood blessing. His dad did a wonderful job and I am grateful to have the power of the Priesthood in my life. Minutes after the blessing, the Elders Quorum President from our ward came in. He is a firefighter and had heard what happened and came to see if he needed a blessing. I was amazed that people already knew and were willing to help. It was about 5:30 at this time and he was scheduled for surgery at 7:30. I decided to go back with BJ and Nick, pick up my van, grab clothes and say good bye to the girls. I had planned to make it back before he went in for surgery, but between traffic and getting everything done, it didn't happen. We spoke on the phone before he went in. I made it back to the hospital around 7:45 and his parents and I waited together in the surgery waiting room until 12:30 when his surgeon came in. He explained that his injuries were worse than they had thought. He had broken his hip and his femur. He had a plate at his hip, which had broken to the left, a rod at the femur, (his femur had busted through his skin) and four pins. Three incisions in the leg. We waited upstairs in yet another waiting room until he was wheeled into his room. He was pretty drugged up and very tired, so we didn't stick around in his room for long. His parents headed home and I bunked on a little lounge chair in the waiting room for the night. I didn't sleep a wink, but it wouldn't have mattered where I was. Sleep was not happening that night. My mind was in overdrive.
Wednesday was rough on Clint. He had major muscle spasms in his leg and lots of pain, but his nurses were great (well, most of them.) and gave him lots of good drugs. His surgeon came in that morning to check in. Told him not to touch the dressings or move. They had originally told us he would be discharged after 48 hours, so we figured we'd just let the girls see him when he got home. But the next morning they told us it wouldn't be until Saturday or Sunday. We didn't want the girls to have to wait that long to see him, so I picked them up Thursday morning and brought them down. It did not go well. I tried prepping them by telling them that daddy had owies on his face and that his leg hurt, but that he was going to be ok and to not be scared of him. We made it to his room and they wanted nothing to do with him. Charlotte especially. She cried and clung to me. We only stayed about ten minutes, then headed back home so they could spend the afternoon with Aunt Audrie. I went back to the hospital and stayed until his parents came that night.
He didn't start any physical therapy or stand until Thursday. I missed his first attempt at getting up and walking because I was getting the girls situated, but he says he made it from the foot of his bed to the door and back and that that little jaunt exhausted him. He was sweating and completely wiped out. Friday was better. He made it down the hall and back and was able to wash his hair and clean up a little. His oxygen levels were low so he spent lots of time breathing into a tube to build it back up. He was frantic about work and missing phone calls, so on Friday Justin brought a new phone to him and Clint had his calls transferred to that phone. He spent seriously all day returning phone calls and talking work. I got a little bored. :) We ended up being discharged Friday night. Wohoo! They explained medications, exercises he was supposed to do, appointments I had to make, etc. The workers comp people came in and were trying to push everything on us. They wanted us to take a hospital bed, a commode, a walker, crutches, even a in-home physical therapist. Um, no thanks. We settled on a walker and out-patient physical therapy. We have to go four days a week for twelve weeks. He can't be left alone, although I think I can strap him to his chair and make him promise not to try to get up if I need to run to the grocery store or anything. He can't put weight on it for 6-8 weeks and then will be in crutches for 6 months.




This ordeal has been a major eye opener for me. I always thought that if something ever happened to Clint, I would survive. It would be hard. I would miss him. But I would make it. Now I know that I would be DEVASTATED. Absolutely destroyed. I cannot imagine being without him. I've told him since Tuesday that I'm going to be so nice to him he's going to think something is wrong with me. All of the little things that had been getting on my nerves about him were so so petty and unimportant. I've got the best husband and best friend in the world. I am so grateful his injuries weren't worse and that he is here with me. I love him so much. I've had such a hard time with my emotions all week. Even though I know he is ok, I keep replaying everything in my head and all of those feelings just keep coming back. On top of those emotions, we have been inundated with help from family and friends. We are feeling so terribly spoiled and pampered. Our lawn has been mowed. And fertilized. And watered. We have a freezer full of meals. I've had numerous babysitting offers. People have been so willing and eager to help and it is just amazing. We really feel so guilty! Our families have been so wonderful. Within 5 minutes of my calling Nick, my entire family knew. Audrie was packing her bags and flying down from Colorado to be with me. All of my siblings were feeling my pain. They dropped everything (including paint cans) to be with me and cry with me. Aunts, uncles, cousins were texting to say they were praying. We have just felt so loved and I am bubbling over with tears because of it. We are so grateful.
So. We are home and we are happy. One day later, and Clint is already going stir-crazy. He might go mad being laid up for so long. I might too!!! He has his work phone and a lap top, thanks to his dad. He is really going to try to do some work to keep his mind occupied and stay busy. I will be running him to PT lots and doing my best to take care of him. I will have to leave him a little each day to go to work but I really think if I tell him not to try moving he will listen. So if anyone wants to come play chess or cards with him, come on over. He's going to be bored!
I'm trying not to bug him too much. It's hard because he wants to be independent and do everything on his own. I, on the other hand, want to baby him and do everything for him. I feel pretty useless not being able to help him more. I'm so glad he is here and that we get to spend lots of time together over the next few months. Thanks to everyone for your prayers and support!















14 comments:
Oh my gosh! I am so sorry that this all happened to Clint and your family. I am glad to hear that everything ended up being okay and that you are now home from the hospital. Please let me know if I can help you out.
I a, crying just reading this. I can't imagin having to go through something like that. I always tell Patrick that I need to go first because I couldn't do it without him. I hope everything turns out alright. I'll keep you in my prayers.
Oh, not that you are thinking about this now, but Patrcik also get so hot at night I can't get anywhere near him. We got a small window unit for our bedroom. It works great. He van actually single at night now.
Thank God for Guardian Angels b/c I'm pretty sure Clint had one watching over him that day. You will all be in my prayers!
The details in this post give me goosebumps and seriously bring tears to my eyes, Marianne....I cannot even imagine how scary this must have been! I am just so thankful that Clint is going to be ok! Getting a phone call like that has always been my worst nightmare too and you just never think something like that will REALLY ever happen to you. I wish we lived closer so we could do more...but just know that you guys are in our thoughts and prayers...give Clint our love! Love you guys! xoxo
This post hurts me to read! Diego was trying to tell me what Clint told him yesterday but it seriously lacked some details. And Diego didn't want to be nosey either. Your whole experience has actually made me think a lot about what life would be like without my husband. You almost lost him! I'm so glad he's still here with you.
wow that is crazy im so sorry! i can feel for you and clint in a way. i had a colon resection and it was awful. the pain was horrible, the oxygen/nasal canula was annoying to wear and i hated not being with brandon. however my surgery was scheduled and didnt just happen out of the blue. im glad he's back home and getting better! please tell him good luck and youre all in our prayers!
I have been thinking about you so much since I heard the news!!! I had been asking Jalei all the details. I CANNOT imagine how scared you must have been! He seems like he is being so brave, but has a long way to recover. I just can't imagine. 6 months on crutches!? And a new little baby!?
You guys are my new heroes.
I am SO SO SO SO happy he is ok, and you are all getting along. You are and have been in my thoughts and prayers! Love you!
I'm so sorry that happened, but glad Clint is going to recover and you have your families there to pamper you! We're praying for a full recovery and for you guys to not go stir crazy together! :)
I am so glad he is going to be okay. I am so sorry you have had to go through this. We have included you guys in our prayers every night. I hope his recovery is speedy.
Oh my goodness, Marianne! I am so glad Clint will be okay. What a blessing to have your family close. I just wish that WE were closer and could do something to help. You've been in our prayers since we heard. I know prayers go a long way when you can't be there physically!! Please let me know if there is anything we can do from a distance.
Love ya,
Julie
Oh my goodness!! I am SO glad that he is going to be okay! I can not even imagine how scary that must have been! I am so so glad that you have family close to you that can help you and were there for you when you got the call. Isn't it amazing to see how many people come running to help when you need it?? Your family will be in our prayers and we hope for a great recovery. Wish I could be there to help somehow:)
And by the way I just saw you are having another girl and I CAN NOT believe it!! That is crazy!! How nice that you are so prepared and have all of the stuff already. Your girls will get to be close and best friends just like you are with Amber and Audrie...so fun!!
Such a scary time for you all. I'm so glad he is ok & you all are adjusting well. Lane looked at his pictures & said he looks really good for what happened to him. It's going to be a long road not just for Clint, but you too, so hang in there & focus on the positive. Let me know if you need anything. I hate being so far away!
oh. my. goodness. my mom just told me what happened. i haven't been on blogs for a while so i feel out of the loop. my goodness again! we have been praying for you guys since we found out. what. an. ordeal. i cant believe this happened! what an AWESOME family you have to rush over and help. AWESOME family. TERRIBLE accident! you are amazing.
OH MY GOSH!!! Marianne, I am SO sorry!!! I just bawled reading this post!!! I think about those things too and I just cant imagine going through that! My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family! Love you!!!
Post a Comment