Thursday, June 5, 2008

Babywise? Father's Day?

Ok just have a few questions. First, has anyone read the book On Becoming Babywise? I have read it and tried it for the first time yesterday...and am not sure if I should continue it or not. It basically boils down to keeping baby on a set schedule that involves: feed time, wake time, nap time. In that order. The goal is to get baby to learn to fall asleep on their own rather than after feeding time, and to help baby sleep through the night. The only reason I wanted to try it is because Sage is still eating every 3 hours like clockwork all night. I'm thinking she should start stretching that time out a bit. She's going on 9 weeks old so it's time! She does great sleeping in her crib, but I'd like to start cutting out at least one night time feeding. I like the schedule they discuss in the book, but it's almost like it's teaching her to take cat-naps. She is used to getting a 2-3 hour nap in the morning and afternoon, but with this she gets like four 45-60 minute naps a day. Nap time also involves more crying now, because she is used to eating right before she goes down. Anyway, I'm sure it works for some and not for others so who knows. Just wondering if anyone out there had any experience (good or bad) with it.
Second....Does anyone have any good Father's Day ideas? Particularly first father's day? I want to do something special for Clint but am drawing a blank. Something on the inexpensive side, but fun and creative. I am all about stealing ideas since I have zero creative ideas on my own. Thanks!!!

7 comments:

Chelsea said...

Hey, I do know about that. The only thing i can tell you from experience is to keep her on a 3 hour feeding schedual during the day, and keep the naps the way you are doing them, just maybe try and shorten then a little! But I do know that until babies are 11 weeks old, they arent necessarily capible of staying asleep all night long. so if you want to try puttin her to bed a little earlier that might help. I did 9 pm with emma and she slept through the night, and only would get up maybe once to eat. I dont know, just the advice i have!! your doing great!!

themacdonnells said...

I never put my boys on eating schedules, but when Theron was a baby and wouldn't sleep through the night without eating, I read all the books about sleeping. We were keeping him up a little later at night to make sure he was tired enough to sleep through (logical I thought), but the thing that worked was putting them to be by at least 8pm or earlier! Once we put them to bed at 7:30 or 8, they started sleeping through the night! Both boys were taking 2, 2-3 hour naps during the day as well.... Hope that made sense.

Anonymous said...

Hey lady. Okay, I should have told you that I have done baby wise with all three of my kids. Coulson is only waking up once to eat at night and takes about 5 naps a day and he's 3 weeks old. Sage is big enough to go eight hours straight! I love it!!! Its hard at first, but its totally worth it. My older kids still do it. I can lay them all down awake and they will go to sleep, and even Madison still takes her scheduled naps and she's 5 1/2. You can borrow my book if you want. I even have Baby wise 2, toddler wise and child wise. Its the best book, in my opinion, ever written! Stick with it!! I'll call you and talk to you about it. As far as Father's Day... I always get Judd a gun. He loves it. This year I am getting him a 1 year membership to the shooting range. Its not very special, and I don't think Clint's into that sort of thing anyway. I'm not very creative either!

Chelsie said...

Well, I never did Babywise with Bayleigh but I did read other books and got ideas from them all. The one thing that did work (which was already mentioned) was to put them down around 7:30. You would think putting them down later would help them sleep but really they are overly tired and don't sleep well at all. According to my doctor he says they wake up like clock work through the night because they KNOW you will come in. They really do not need to eat so frequently. When Bayleigh was 3 months or so he said to just let her cry it out. It was the hardest thing for me. But he promised me that after 3 days she would be sleeping better and through the night. It was two nights and she was sleeping all night. I don't know if that helps at all. Hopefully it does! Good luck. Lets get together again. Swim? We are free basically everyday!!

Kirkhams said...

Babywise worked for all three of mine. I'm a believer!!! It's tough at first to find ways to keep them up during and after feedings, but really try it out! I'll talk to you more about it at the wedding!!! I'm excited you're coming!

As far as a Father's gift idea?? You can make a HM book for him with photos of him and Sage. (he'll just have to get it late). That's one idea. I got Jeff some shorts. Boring, but he needs them. Okay I'll see you next week!!

Regina said...

For father's day I am buying Mike a tool of some sort. Like a saw maybe. Anyway, when is Sage's 2 month check up?? I am dying to hear about it!

sladefamilyaz said...

It worked great for my sister, but I could never do it.