Thursday, December 11, 2008

The Wind and Food.

I'm in the mood to blog. Let's talk about food first. Why is it that every year at Christmas time, I want nothing more than to put on my sweats and bake like there's no tomorrow? Seriously, I feel like I should be baking treats all day every day. And it's not like I can bake without taste testing everything. Today I spent several hours baking fudge and carmel-corn to take around to neighbors (if you live in AZ and don't get any, it's not because I don't love you.) and now I feel like a walking tub of butter. It was bad, so bad. Sage was asleep, Clint was at work, and no one was around to witness my eating frenzy. If you know me well, you can picture it. If you've never been around to watch me eat junk food (or any food for that matter), I won't describe to you how unbelievably disgusting it is to watch. It's like I'm surrounded by ten other people who are trying to eat from the same plate, and I'm trying to eat it all before they get any. Very attractive.

Alright, now about the wind. I have a love/hate relationship with the wind. I love it when I'm hot and it cools me off, I hate it when I'm running and it's blowing against me. My marathon is just over a month away, and I am SO ready for it to be OVER!!! I took Sage out on Tuesday for a jog and about 40 min into it the wind started blowing like mad. I was trying to up my time, and I failed miserably. I blame it on the wind. I was pushing for all I was worth and it seemed like we were going nowhere. Of course when we turned around and headed for home it was pushing me along, so I guess I shouldn't complain. Anyways.....sad story:

I ran in this 10 mile iron girl run two years ago, and I signed up this year with the goal of beating my previous time in mind. So last Friday night, Clint and I drive up to Tempe Town Lakes to pick up my racing packet. Saturday morning we get up, get Sage all ready and head out to TTL again. The race started at 9am (or so I thought...) and we were running late (what's new). So I left Sage w/ Clint and raced to the port-a-pot to get one last bathroom break in before I started. While I was waiting in line I realized there was no one else at the start line. Yes, you guessed it. We were an hour late. The race started at 8, and we missed the whole stupid thing. I was so mad at myself. I'm not kidding, I started crying like a baby. I was furious! I mean, I checked the website probably 12 times that week to make sure I had all the info right. What happened?? I was also p.o.'d because I paid 50 bucks to run in it!!! Grrr.....Plus, I had my whole day planned out, since my workout was going to be done by 10:30. Clint was so sweet, he kept trying to make me feel better but there was no stopping my bad mood. After a while I cooled off and had Clint drop me off ten miles from home so I could see if I could beat my time. It was not nearly as fun as running in a race, and I had to stop at about a zillion stop lights, but I did beat my time and our day turned out fun. I guess I shouldn't have gotten my panties in a wad over something so silly. It's easier to say that now, though.

Random: I've decided that since we have over 50 family members to send holiday cards to, we're not sending any to friends. Thus the picture at the top. Enjoy!

7 comments:

Julie said...

I say you indulge in all the festive fudge! After all, the holidays only come once each year...followed by Valentine's, Easter, your anniversary... Seriously, though, you're training for a marathon, girl! I think you deserve to treat yourself now and then!! I don't have that excuse :-).

Kristina Rich said...

oh my gosh, I'm sad you missed it. You must have been running really fast to beat your time with stoplights involved. I totally can relate to your eating frenzy. Funny how you described it, that would be exactly what I would look like I know it. I hide food from my family all the time.

hyrum♥chelsea said...

i'm totally a bake a holic this time of year too!! i swear its the weather. but hey you work out enough that you deserve to indulge once in a while. your christmas card is super cute!

Jalei & Lane said...

I can't believe you made Clint drop you off 10 miles from home-you are crazy! And I know what you mean about baking. I've baked 3 different this this week alone!

Tiffany said...

Oh my gosh Marianne, I wanted to cry for you reading about missing your race start time!! I can't even imagine how upset you must have been!!! How frustrating!!! But that is awesome that you still ran the 10 miles on your own AND still beat your old time!
And I love your post about baking delicious holiday goodies and stuffing your face...I LOVE all the home-baked holiday goodies...and I can't wait til I am a stay at home mom and can bake in my sweats all day. I have been wanting to bake so bad lately and I NEVER have time!! Grrr!!!!

Elisha said...

OH my goodness! I don't blame you, I'd have cried too! You are so good for still running 10 miles that day, I bet it made you feel a little better! Thanks so much for all your help this week!

Brad and Laurie said...

So what exactly happened with the race time? Bummer... I take it you were mad at yourself, or was the time posted wrong? Either way, c'est la vie, n'est-ce pas! love ya