Thursday, December 4, 2008

Sage hikes Camelback!

So ever since Sage was born, I've wanted to take her up Camelback mountain. Or maybe I've just wanted to do it and can't go w/out her...not sure which. Anyway, I decided today was the day and it was SO FUN! We started out by reorganizing my camelback. I usually keep the same things in there for races and stuff, so there's a knife, space blanket, compass, inner tube, etc....you know, safety gear. I took all of that out and replaced it with everything to the left of the pack--new safety stuff. Diaper, wet ones, baby food--the necessities--the stuff that will really keep us safe. Here we are with Virginia (Katherine's sister) at the top. I figure I burned at least a couple extra calories lugging a 17 lb baby up it, right?
I think this might be the first post I've ever put on here where Sage is not grinning from ear to ear. I don't think she smiled once. She didn't make a peep, either. I think she was too busy taking it all in. The wind was blowing and a bit chilly too, so her eyes were watering and she had a hard time keeping them open. She was such a champ. We stopped at the top for a little applesauce break, which she devoured. It's funny how people think they have the right to voice their opinions to others. For the most part, people were friendly, but there were a few who thought I was crazy (some of you might think that too....but just keep your thoughts to yourself!) Some said things like:
"one wrong step, and you could really hurt that baby you know"
"ugh, that is so dangerous; what is she thinking?"
I mean, I realize it's not the safest thing in the world, but we were super careful and I took my time. Virginia offered to carry her for a while, but I don't think I would've trusted anyone else with her--not even Clint! :)



Poor Sage was worn out and fell asleep on the way down. Anyway, no mishaps and it was really such a fun morning. We will be doing it again soon!!

15 comments:

Julie said...

Way to go! I have no idea what Camelback is :-), but I'm sure you got one heck of a workout!!

Kristina Rich said...

I can hardly make it up that stinking mountain with my own weight. How in the world did you get up that steep part with her. That is a triump I must say. I don't think that its a bad idea to take a baby on a hike. Remember those people down at Havasupai that had thier baby strapped to the front getting ready to make a 13 mile one way hike in. Now that's crazy. I shouldn't speak too soon though. I'm sure you've already thought that would be a good idea. Weirdo.

Jalei & Lane said...

How fun! People are so rude!

Bre said...

People think they can just say whatever they want, what do they think, that you didn't think about it before you went? I hate it when people are like that. Good for you!

Regina said...

I am one who thinks you are crazy, but not for taking Sage...for climbing a mountain in the first place! How can you say I am good at everything? I could and would NEVER be able to do the things you do!!

Chelsea said...

Looks like fun! i know how you feel, i hate when people comment or suggest on how to treat my kids!! gosh!! she is so cute by the way!! also i changed my address to funfullmers.blospot.com

Debbie said...

I am so impressed. I am barely alive when I finish climbing Camelback, I truly don't think I would make it carrying a baby!! That is so cute though that she spent the whole time taking it all in!! I don't think there is anything wrong with taking her. It's not like you weren't careful and it's good for her to get out and see new things:)!

Tiffany said...

Ok, I think it is so awesome that you did that with her!! And I CANNOT believe people said those things!!!! That is so rude! They were just jealous cuz they know they would have never been able to hike up camelback carrying a 17 lb baby :)

Jaime said...

Clint Overton! Holy cow, I haven't seen you in forever! Beautiful family! Good to see that you are doing so well!

Brad and Laurie said...

Kinsey made that hike with us too, i'm sure you remember, when she was about 6 weeks old! Now that may have been crazy, but it didn't seem like it to me.

themacdonnells said...

I think it's AWESOME that you took her on your hike. There is nothing like enjoying the outdoors with your kiddos. She is sooo stinkin cute!

The Vanny Bunch said...

People make me angry. I would have told them to shut up and mind their own business or said something rude to them like, I can't believe you made it this far with that big butt or something. Anyway, I think it is great you did that. We took Myron on hikes all the time when he was a baby. Not up Camelback though! That is awesome, Kelli

Katherine Young said...

i wish i had of been there! we should plan another one.

eyre blog said...

You are a machine. I really think you are. how else is it possible to do all that you do. THANK YOU so much for sending those bows. That was so thoughtful and we really really appreciate them AND we will think of you every time we use them! you are great marianne. Oh when you get a chance will you send your address for a christmas card. Or do you have an excel sheet with all the cousins on it that you'd like to pass on. If not I'll get one and pass it to you. talk to you soon. Sage is adorable.

Kirkhams said...

I told her (Kristi) that I got all your addresses from you...we do this every year, so get used to us nagging you for info! NIce work up the mtn! I still want to come to one of your classes when I ever make it back to AZ! Miss you!