Thursday, March 4, 2010

If I could go back in time....

I would NEVER get braces. Ever. They are the most annoying thing in the world. My teeth weren't so bad to start with, and if I knew how bad these were going to be, I NEVER would have gotten them. They look ridiculous, make me feel like my face is swollen, make me spit when I speak, and give me a lisp! Seriously, someone should have warned me that they were this terrible. They (the evil orthodontists) are correcting my bite, too--so my teeth don't touch when I bite. In other words, I can't chew. Anything. Come between me and my meals and I am not a happy camper. I've been eating soup and yogurts for the past day--(yes, it's only been ONE DAY.) and I hate it. I tried a piece of tortilla but my teeth are so far apart I can't chew! I gnawed on a banana for breakfast, took a look in the mirror, and had extreme food chunks in my teeth. So disgusting. I'm never going to be able to eat in public again. They catch on my lip when I talk, smile, or yawn and I'm constantly having to pull my cheeks out of the wires. In all honesty, I'd rather go through 24 hours of labor than deal with these. I HATE THEM.

16 comments:

Gail said...

I started cracking up when you said you gnawed on a banana! On a more serious note, I'm sorry you hate them so much.

Julie said...

That's about the funniest thing I've ever read! I'm seriously laughing out loud. Still! You missed out on one of the quintessential joys of being a teen, and now you're getting to experience it. The good this trial is accomplishing, though, is that you are learning empathy for when your kiddos get braces down the road. You'll understand their agony so much better and be a better mom for having dealt with this. You will make it! It won't always be as bad as it seems now. And it will all be worth it when the braces come off :-).

Danielle said...

How long do you have to have them? It gets better. It will be sooo worth it when you get them off and run your tongue across your smooth teeth for the first time. That sounded kind of weird but you know what I mean. I'm sorry you can't eat though! And right at girl scout cookie time! :)

Kristina Rich said...

can't you take them off and get your money back?!?! That sucks!!

Jalei & Lane said...

I was going to say that I didn't remember you having bad teeth. That stinks. I'm sure you'll get used to them soon. I want to get Invisaline.

Connie said...

I remember feeling the exact same way! But it will get better- seriously, the payoff is so worth it!

Connie said...

And at least you can still eat ice cream, right? Sorry you hate them so bad, but it will get better.

Regina said...

I had braces as an adult too and I felt the exact same way. I was seriously about to go back and get them taken off. BUT i will say, it is worth it. It is VERY painful the first few days and every time you get adjusted, but it's worth it for perfect teeth. I am a major teeth person. My advice is to wear that stinking retainer every night for the rest of your life especially during future pregnancies when your teeth actually move more. I didn't and now I want braces again because they are not 100% perfect. Hang in there you can do it!! Also, YES email me the cookie recipe!!! Sorry this is a novel. :)

Hillary from The Beauty Mark said...

oh sad day! I'm so glad I stumbled across your blog. And I'm so glad we're running buddies (the one time i've gone)

Ps we still need to plan a lunch for Heidi! Sorry I'm such a slacker

Hillary

Chelsea said...

haha! you crack me up! i totally remember all that! i had the horrible things for 2 years, and i still dont have nice teeth! Good luck! i hope it gets better for you!

Jami said...

Your descriptions are hilarious.

Jensen Family said...

awe i'm sorry!! this takes me back to 7th grade. BUT i do remember after a few days you just get used to them. until they tighten them again, then a few days later you are used to them again! use wax for the pokey wires, its helps a ton!

Stephanie and Cody Sunderhaus said...

I'm laughing, but only cause I've been there and know what your talking about! Except that I did as a teenager so it didn't hurt as bad as it probably does for you now! I'm so sorry sweetheart! Good luck!

Tiffany said...

ok, not that i know, cuz I've never had braces, but it will probably get better. When I got invisialign i spit when I talk and had a lisp at first too...and within a week, I had adjusted and didn't do that anymore. And look on the bright side...if all you can eat is soup and yogurt, you are probably gonna lose some weight ;) not that you even need to! But thats always exciting for a girl, right? ;) How long do you have to have them on for??

Melanie said...

Oh, Marianne! I'm so sorry! Teeth pain is the worst! I felt the same way... hideous when I had my braces... I only wish I would have worn my retainer cause now my teeth have shifted more than they were before :( hang in there! it'll get better and you'll get used to them.

Alisha naylor said...

I know how u feel Marianne! I promise it will get better.....I'll be honest I still hate them and complain everyday but you will get used to it! You can call me if u want any food advice or to just complain, I don't mind