Tuesday, May 18, 2010

I hate your dog.

Pretend you are my neighbor. You are new to the neighborhood. You have a son and are a stay at home mom. You also have a dog. A small dog. A small yap-pity dog who likes to bark all day and all night. Now. How would you like your new neighbor (me) to approach you about this dog?

Option A: Take the chickens way out and notify HOA of the disturbance.
Option B: Arrive at your door with a plate of goodies and casually slip it in to the conversation?
Option C: Shoot it with my new gun?

Honest answers, please. This dog is driving me crazy and has got to shut up.

Side note....last week we had the windows open and while making dinner this dog was going crazy. I was fed up and yelled out the window, "shut up, DOG!" Immediately, Sage said, "mommy tell woof woof shut up?" in a very sad voice. Whoops. I felt guilty and apologized to her and told her that mommy should not have said shut up to the dog. Now, all week, if she hears any dog bark, she tells it to shut up. I have really got to start watching what I say around my parrot child.

15 comments:

Jalei & Lane said...

I know you'd probably like to go with option C, but I would try option b first & depending on the results resort to option a if necessary.

Connie said...

Can't help you there. We are in the same boat, except that it's a big dog. Still, it's just as annoying. I hope you get some good advice, cause I could use some too right about now.

Shari said...

If you take the cookies and print out something like this, it might work...?
http://www.iams.com/iams/pet-health/dogs-bark.jsp
If you call the HOA, she'll be wondering which neighbor it was, and it might come back to you, anyway. Maybe you could take the dog a little toy bone to chew on and tease that you thought it might help keep it busy? I don't know. Or, throw some meat with morphine over the fence every once in a while to make it sleep... ha ha. I'm kidding!

Gail said...

Okay Marianne, you know I have experience with this. HOA won't do anything if they don't actually hear the dog barking. Call animal control. Trust me, it's not that bad. All they do is ask for the address and send a letter to your neighbors. It's completely anonymous and from personal experience, it works. Don't worry. :)

480-644-2268

Gail said...

Oh by the way, I've heard the dog. Something must be done.

Jensen Family said...

ok, so my friend has/had a dog that barked all night long and her neighbors complained to much they had to get a bark collar for the dog or else. but it took so many complaints.. and that could take awhile. SO i say just go next door and tell them you can't sleep. but really option c just takes care of it all! ;)

Regina said...

Thats insane. We have a small dog (chihuahua) who likes to bark, so everytime I let him out I listen for him to start barking and immediately bring him in. Sometimes during the day when our neighbors (who we know) are all at work I may let him bark and wear himself out, but never more than like 10 minutes. Even that is annoying. If it is small, they should have no problem bringing him in.

It sounds like a legitimate problem, and you should do something. If it was just once, then that's one thing, but other than that.....

Good luck!!

the tatsaks said...

I am with Jalei!

Anonymous said...

this is your awesome brother nick.. you should just go get a dog yourself. a bigger, louder dog. and see how she likes it

sladefamilyaz said...

i have two options:

option #1 - one word - antifreeze

option #2 - (and this is one my sister gave me when i lived in utah and had your same problem.) you could "accidentally" run over the dog when he is out on his daily walk. you asked.:-)

Jami said...

I would go with B. As for watching what you say, we have the same problem T our house. The girls watch what we say and then tattle to the other parent. The first time we thought someone has said something really bad. One of the girls came in saying--someone said the "sh" word, or someone said the "st" word. Thankfully it was only shut up and stupid.

Danielle said...

So if it were me...I'd want you to come tell me. Assuming your neighbors are nice, normal, considerate people, I think they would want to know, and be bothered by the fact, that their dog is disturbing their neighbors. At least this way gives them a chance to improve. I think you should definitely make sure though that they understand how often the dog is barking though so they don't blow you off...let them know it's a major disturbance and blame it on your kids and their naps :)

BJ and Alexis Gremillion said...

Ok I haven't ever done this but a girl I work with said there is some machine or something that you can put in your back yard and every time the dog barks it makes a super high pitched sound that the dog hates but people can't hear it so the neighbors don't even know you have it. Then you don't even have to approach the new neighbor about it. I wish I knew more about it but it sounded pretty cool to me.

Matt and Megan said...

I love all the comments!! Your posts always make me laugh! Even though I know it sucks to have an annoying barking dog!! I would go with #3:) But honestly I have no idea!

Anna said...

Don't feel bad, we all do things like that as a parent! And "Shut up" isn't the worse thing you could've said! I would go over with a treat of goodies and introduce yourself. Don't say anything about the dog and maybe a week or two later go over and mention the dog is pretty loud. Good luck!!