First, I apologize to all of my friends who have texted, called, emailed, etc. and gotten no response. I'm still trying to figure out how to have two kids and juggle everything else, so a few things have been stacking up! Second, this is going to be super long. Just skip ahead to pictures if you want (there are tons!) . I just want to be able to remember everything about Charly's big day.
I'm backing up a bit here to get the whole delivery story--here goes. I had been dilated to a two and 80% effaced for about a month as of August 15
th, a Saturday. I was beyond frustrated and so ready to have this baby! I had contractions pretty much all day Saturday, but nothing that ever hurt, so I didn't want to go in to the hospital. They continued all night long, but were not consistent and still didn't hurt--just made me catch my breath a bit. Sunday morning they picked up at around noon and were coming every five minutes until 4pm, when we decided to head in. I was fighting Clint tooth and nail because I didn't want to go in and then be sent home, but he insisted so off we went. Here we are saying bye to Sage. She thought at first that she was just posing, so she was all smiles.

Here she is kissing her sister

And now she is realizing that we are leaving her at home for a while...she was not a happy camper.

Waving bye to us...doesn't it break your heart??

So we made it to the hospital at 4:30, went straight to triage and crossed our fingers that I was at least a three. I put on my beautiful gown and almost started crying when the nurse announced that I was a "stretchy" five, and not going home. Yea!! The next nurse came in to do my IV, and she was in a hurry because the on call doctor was on his way to break my water. In her rush, she poked a little deep and blood came shooting out of my vein. It wasn't pretty and it hurt, but we survived. After that we headed off to the delivery room where the doctor broke my water--which was at 5:45PM. A few short minutes later my mom, dad, Amber,
BJ and Katherine all came in to sit with us while we waited. We all figured we'd be there a while so they brought books to read. Thankfully they didn't get to use them. By six, my contractions had picked up and were coming every few minutes. I wasn't too worried at that point, because they weren't too painful. Here we are working through the first few together....faking the Lamaze techniques, by the way.

Before they got too bad, Shari brought Sage over to say hi and see how things were progressing. Sage didn't quite know what was going on.


Around 6:45 or so, my contractions started getting very intense. Like, major pain. I was trying to focus on my breathing but it was hard to do anything other than want to cry. I didn't, though. :) They started coming every minute, sometimes with no break in between. Then they got to where each one was lasting super long, with two or three peaks in each contraction. Thank heavens Clint, Amber and my mom where there the whole time. They stayed busy washing my face with a wet wash rag, rubbing my back, and trying to calm me down. At this point, I had not been checked since the initial triage visit. I was feeling major urges to push and really wanted them to check me so we could get this show on the road, but I didn't have the guts to ask. I told the nurse--"I think I need to push", but she didn't seem to believe me. She said "well that's good, that's what is supposed to be happening". And that was it. So thank heavens Amber is brave and said--"do you think you could check her?" So, they called the doc in and he did his thing-I was a nine and everything was ready to go. So we shooed everyone but Clint and mom out; until I changed my mind and had them call Amber back in. I should've told them to send Katherine in, too, but just wasn't even thinking. So she came back in and I was told to start pushing. I knew it would hurt, but holy hell. I was so not prepared. I was pretty much writhing on the bed, and I think I screamed once or twice. I only had to push a couple times, but I felt like she was so so so long. I kept saying to the doctor, "can't you pull her the rest of the way out now?" I thought for sure she was out, but the pain just kept coming and it seemed to take forever. After what seemed like days, I felt the last bit of her slide out and took a deep breath. I could finally breathe!!! Clint cut the cord and they laid her on my chest...it was 7:49 PM.



I was crying and in awe of my sweet little angel. I immediately thought she was so pretty. I was loving having her with me, but I still had to deliver the placenta and then get stitched up and was scared of hurting her, so I had to pass her off to the nurses. Delivering the placenta hurt pretty bad too, and getting stitched up was no treat. The doctor kept poking me with the needle asking, "are you numb here? how about here?" It took a few pokes until the numbing shot he gave me in the rear kicked in. I could feel major tugging but thankfully no more needle pokes. Anyways...enough of the
gruesome details. Everyone keeps asking if I'd go natural again. My answer? Not if I don't have to. My mom was right, the pain goes away and you start to forget how bad it hurt, but that's what these details are for. To remind myself on the next go around to get an epidural! :)
Here she is getting cleaned up and taken care of


Bonding with Grandma and Grandpa
And with Grandma Overton


First bath!
All 5 lbs 15 oz of her 20 inch body, snuggled up and happy--
Shari came again the next morning to let Sage meet her little sister. At first she didn't know quite what to think, but she quickly warmed up to her and was kissing her and pointing out her eyes, nose, mouth, etc. I'll have to keep a close eye on that!




Our new improved family of four!! That night Clint and I were talking about how we don't feel old enough or responsible enough to have two kids! We are so so happy with our little family and love Sage and Charlotte so much. I've got a whole new respect for my mom, who made raising EIGHT kids look easy. I'm so glad my folks have been here to help out this first week. I am dreading the day they leave!!
10 comments:
Congrats, Marianne! You are one tough gal, and Charlotte is such a beautiful reward!! Can't wait to meet her in person.
Congratulations! And I just LOVE her name.
Hey, I saw your blog through Gail's. I just wanted to say congrats, she is so adorable and I am amazed you did it Au Natural... enjoy your new little sweetie. Happy recovery.
What a perfect little family! Charlotte looks so peaceful & content. I want you to come to Texas so I can see her!
I loved your story! I am going to try to be as prepared as possible next time. I plan to go natural also. Did you get pitocin? Sage looks so cute in every single picture!! And Charlotte is just precious! Your family is so adorable!
Congratulations! Charly is such a cutie. You are so brave -- my hero! Good luck with all the adventures to come.
I am too impressed that you did it naturally. You are amazing. Don't worry, you will get used to having more than one. By the third, it won't matter at all.
Marianne you are a REAL woman. Thank you for sharing the 'details'. Ü
You are right she is beautiful.
Let me know when your 'live' in help needs to go back home. I need to bring you guys dinner one night.
Oh yeah, glad to hear you wouldn't do natural again. I never understood the point of always playing tough. You are young to have two, and that is why you'll be awesome mom and grandma! Love the details since I never got to experience any of that...!
Thanks for sharing the story! And seriously thanks for admitting that you would not do it again without an epidural if you didn't have to, I am now convinced to just get one the next go round. No more wondering if I should or shouldn't or could or couldn't, I'm just doin it!
Post a Comment