Sunday, January 17, 2010

Marathon

I did it! Year two running the PF Chang's Marathon, and I'm so glad I did it! Every year during training I swear I'll never do it again, but, you know. I will. Tiff and I headed to the Expo Saturday evening to pick up our timing chip and numbers, then picked up some Mac Grill on the way home. I'm so glad you stayed in town to do this one Tiffany, it was so good to see you and WAY more fun to know someone on the run!
We got there at 6:40 and did some stretching, visited the clean portapots and tried to shake out some nerves before we started. We ran the first six miles together and our paces are pretty much exactly the same. After that we ran on our own and unfortunately didn't meet up again.
We were both in coral 6 since our estimated finish time was the same, which was great because we got start together.
Here we are about two seconds before we took off.
So. Miles 1-13 went fast. At every mile marker I was surprised it came up so quickly. My pace was quicker than I planned too, which was a bonus. They have pacers on the race who hold signs that say "3:30", "4:00", etc. so you can try to keep a steady pace. I started with the 4:45 group and then quickly trotted up to the 4:15ers! I was super shocked/happy. So I'm at the half way point and thinking that I'd get to mile 15 before letting myself start taking breaks. But....I started crying. Now this will probably sound corny to some of you, but this is exactly what happened and I swear it made me fly. I was trotting along when I looked over and saw this little old grandma sitting in a chair cheering people on. She was holding her arms over her head with her thumbs up, and we made eye contact. And for some strange reason, it reminded me of my GG. So the water works started and I cried for a while because I got to thinking about my sweet grandma and about how much I miss her every single day. Once I got my emotions in check I started having a conversation with her in my head and we decided that I was running this one for her and that in return she was going to help me across the finish line. Sound crazy? I know. But that's what we talked about, and I swear she was there with me the whole time. I kept the exact same pace the entire way to the finish line and did not stop to walk once. I finished in 4:16:29 minutes, which is 36 minutes faster than my time last year. No world record or anything, but I was and still am so happy with my time!! Thanks for being there to cheer me on grandma. Love you.
The only sour part of the day was that somewhere between our meeting place at the end of the race and the van, our keys fell out of Clint's pocket. BJ had to get the spare from our house and drive out to save us. Thanks, Beej! We finally made it home around three, to a very cranky Sage who didn't sleep well while we were gone and didn't want grandma to leave and a seriously stubborn baby who had not eaten in 19 hours because she refused to take a bottle. What am I going to do with that child? How do I wean her off the boob when it's time if she just won't eat? And how are Clint and I supposed to get some one on one time when she won't take a bottle for a babysitter? Oh Charlotte. You stinker. Anyways, it was a good day and I look forward to sleeping tonight and relaxing tomorrow!

Clint tried to catch me a couple time throughout the race, but since my pace was faster than I planned, he only spotted my once, at mile twenty. I look spry with a huge butt here, but I wasn't. I was starting to hurt.
At the finish!



And I realized this is gross and probably inappropriate, but this is what happened at mile 15 when my milk came in. Lots of milk stains that turned BROWN and were very noticeable! Very attractive.

16 comments:

Jalei & Lane said...

Wow, Marianne. You keep amazing me with your races. Way to go beating last years time by 37 minutes! That's awesome! I need to live by you so you can train me:)

Melanie said...

I've been thinking about you! Congratulations on an amazing run! I can't believe that Charlotte actually refused the bottle for that long! I feel for you.

You accomplish so much, you just amaze me!

Connie said...

Great job, Marianne! I'm so glad your grandma could help you through your race. What a sweet experience.

Kristina Rich said...

I am so sad i didn't get to do it. I'm looking for one to run soon though. LA is in March. That would be a fun trip. What do ya think?!?! Judd's thinking about running too.

Kristina Rich said...

I am so sad i didn't get to do it. I'm looking for one to run soon though. LA is in March. That would be a fun trip. What do ya think?!?! Judd's thinking about running too.

Gail said...

I thought that might be where you were yesterday. And it's funny because we were sitting on the same row as your brother at church and all the sudden he was gone and didn't come back. I guess that explains it!

Good news, we're still VT partners!

Jami said...

You are my inspiration.

Regina said...

I could not imagine running for 4 hours. Or 4 minutes for that matter. You are amazing!

the tatsaks said...

Congrats!!!! That is a huge accomplishment! I really want to do one but I am so scared of the pain! Oh and you totally made me cry talking about your Gma! My grandma passed away almost 5 years ago and I can cry at just the thought of her and miss her EVERY day! You definitley made her proud!

Castaneda 5 said...

Awww man! You inspire me...I keep saying maybe someday? Maybe I'll start with a 5K. So glad you had a good time and made it through! I've been there with a baby that wouldn't take a bottle. When we went through the temple for the first time, A.J. didn't take a bottle the whole day! I had to nurse him in the temple parking lot right after the sealing!

Adria said...

woo hoo!! i'm bummed i didn't see you down there! one of my girlfriends ran it for the first time so we went down there to cheer her on!

your brown milk stains don't look as bad as some of the mens shirts i saw....all bloody from their shirt rubbing on their nips! OUCH!!

awesome job! i'm amazed at people who can run:)

hyrum♥chelsea said...

you are amazing! i love the milk stains at the end. oh the joys of being a mom :)

Tiffany said...

SO SO happy that we were able to run this race together! We have been talking about running a marathon together for YEARS! Can't believe we finally DID IT! You are speedy gonzales...I kept looking for you and your bright blue shirt with your water bottles bouncing on your hips up ahead of me...and I could never catch up to you! :( Congrats on your time!! You did so awesome!!! Can't wait to run another one with you! PF Changs 2012!

Matt and Megan said...

You seriously inspire me!! I would love to run a marathon!! Well right now i would probably go into labor but after!! We have a great jogging stroller too!! I just need to do it!!

Julie Dustin said...

Marianne!!!! You never cease to amaze me!!! You are awesome! and next time would you please let me know because I would love to run with you!!! And yes...I LOVE the Bob stroller! It is worth every dollar!!! i miss you.

sladefamilyaz said...

LOL! I am still laughing about your milk! Who knew it would turn brown? That's so funny!