Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Changs training

Marathon training began today. My three month calendar is displayed proudly downstairs to remind me of how many miles I have to run each week. Today was a quick, supposedly faster-than-marathon-paced five mile run. Supposedly. After that five miles this morning though, my excitement to start training quickly deflated and I am now scared. Really scared. I was pretty much dragging the whole way today. As in, my shadow looked pathetic. I could hear my shoes dragging on the cement and my back was all hunched over. It was a pretty sad sight to see. I always wait till mid-October to begin training because of the heat. Well it's still freaking 90 degrees at nine in the morning--which is the earliest we make it out the door these days. So.

Reasons this run stank:
A. I was hot. Dripping with sweat all over.
B. The girls were hot. I had to stop to give them water every few minutes.
C. They are getting heavy. My BOB is fantastic, but a 28 pound 2 1/2 year old and an almost 18 lb 14 month old add up to 46 extra pounds I have to push. Even on wheels, it's heavy.
D. BOB has a never ending flat tire. I haul the bike pump with me so I can air said tire up 1/2 way through the run. It needs a new tube, stat.
E. Sage is terrified of bugs. So EVERY TIME a bug flies in or around her area, she screams, "BUG! BUG!" until I pull over and say "go away bug".
F. Sage is also a bonefide booger picker lately, and is nonstop asking me to get boogers off her finger.
G. I'm sore from yesterday's workout.

So, there you have it. I've got a long friggin way to go till I'm ready for the big 26.2.

4 comments:

Jalei & Lane said...

Geez. I am in week 5 of my training for just 6 miles. Right now I'm only running at most 3 miles & it's hard! And there's no way I could do it with a stroller!

Jami said...

Get a treadmill. It is the only way I could exercise in the heat.

Kristina Rich said...

just the fact that you can run while pushing a stroller says a lot! You're going to have a bad day now and again, you know you'll do fine. I started my track workouts last night. Ouch. You should come run some sprints with me once in a while. I'm not doing the marathon or anything, but a half sounds kind of appealing.

Tiffany said...

the beginning of training for a full always feels that way...like you have so far to go. But you have plenty of time to get yourself there! and you know you will, because you have done it before. The weather will only get cooler, your body will only get stronger, your running will get faster and it will all become easier. Just watch :)
Can't wait to hear all about your next pf changs adventure...I will be sad that I can't be there to run it with you this year :( Someday again we will run another one together... :)
Good luck with your training!