Clint and I ran a half marathon together on Saturday. Let me just start by saying that it's been WAY too long since we did a race together. Before kids, we were racing together at least once a month. And believe it or not, it was therapy for us. We love doing stuff like this together. It's costly, but so worth the time we get together just the two of us, doing something we both love. We dropped off our babies with Clint's folks Friday night, came home and the first thing out of my mouth was, "our life would be so boring without the girls!". To which he replied, "no. We'be be out camping. Remember how we used to do that all the time? We wouldn't be bored." Ok. So maybe 'bored' was the wrong word, but still. Life would be way less great. We stayed up way too late together Friday night, woke up bright and early Saturday morning and headed out. Here we are PRE race, both very attractive.

So Clint isn't much of a runner. He runs 3 miles a few times a week, and that's it. Me? I run lots. So we both figured I'd smoke him. His pace is quicker than mine, so we figured he'd run for 5-6 miles and then I'd pass him up. Well, not so. We started out together and at mile two, I passed by him. I never looked back and assumed I'd be at least a mile ahead of him at the end. So you can imagine my surprise, when at around mile 12.8 I feel someone pinch my bum. The first words out of my mouth when I saw him at my side were, "NO WAY!"
I was stunned.
Shocked.
And kind of totally happy.
It's hot that my man is man enough to go out and run a half marathon like it's no big deal. So he turns to me and says, "SEE YA!", and starts sprinting. Bad move, babe. I knew he kicked it into high gear too early, so I kept my steady pace. About 100 meters ahead of me, he turns and starts laughing, exclaiming, "TOO SOON!!!". I replied, "haha! See you at the finish!" and kept going. I picked it up and was able to finish about 25 seconds ahead of him. I came in at 1:53:53 and he came in at 1:54:15. We had so much fun and I've had even more fun making fun of him today, cause he can hardly walk. I'm not sore and am feeling great. He is hunched over and immobile. So running more frequently does have its benefits. :)
Today, post race, we have been talking about what we were both thinking about during the run. I was thinking (over and over again) that I am so dreading training for my marathon. I couldn't imagine running that whole thing again. It sounded so boring and hard. He, on the other hand, was thinking about how he'd like to get into running and how he was surprised at how much fun he had. All in all, a fun fun day for us. We picked the girls up after we cleaned up, we all came home and took nice long naps (esp. the girls who didn't sleep at all for grandma Shari....sorry Shari!!) , then went out for a big dinner together. Perfect day.
So Clint isn't much of a runner. He runs 3 miles a few times a week, and that's it. Me? I run lots. So we both figured I'd smoke him. His pace is quicker than mine, so we figured he'd run for 5-6 miles and then I'd pass him up. Well, not so. We started out together and at mile two, I passed by him. I never looked back and assumed I'd be at least a mile ahead of him at the end. So you can imagine my surprise, when at around mile 12.8 I feel someone pinch my bum. The first words out of my mouth when I saw him at my side were, "NO WAY!"
I was stunned.
Shocked.
And kind of totally happy.
It's hot that my man is man enough to go out and run a half marathon like it's no big deal. So he turns to me and says, "SEE YA!", and starts sprinting. Bad move, babe. I knew he kicked it into high gear too early, so I kept my steady pace. About 100 meters ahead of me, he turns and starts laughing, exclaiming, "TOO SOON!!!". I replied, "haha! See you at the finish!" and kept going. I picked it up and was able to finish about 25 seconds ahead of him. I came in at 1:53:53 and he came in at 1:54:15. We had so much fun and I've had even more fun making fun of him today, cause he can hardly walk. I'm not sore and am feeling great. He is hunched over and immobile. So running more frequently does have its benefits. :)
Today, post race, we have been talking about what we were both thinking about during the run. I was thinking (over and over again) that I am so dreading training for my marathon. I couldn't imagine running that whole thing again. It sounded so boring and hard. He, on the other hand, was thinking about how he'd like to get into running and how he was surprised at how much fun he had. All in all, a fun fun day for us. We picked the girls up after we cleaned up, we all came home and took nice long naps (esp. the girls who didn't sleep at all for grandma Shari....sorry Shari!!) , then went out for a big dinner together. Perfect day.















3 comments:
That's so great you both enjoy running & get to do things like this.
You guys are amazing. Way to go!
that really is my idea of a perfect day! I love race days!
Congrats to both of you guys on the half and on getting such awesome times!! It amazes me that guys like Clint can just up and run a half marathon like that without hardly training at all! I wish SO bad I could run the PF Changs full with you...I think that race I ran with you is still my favorite to date simply because I got to run it with you :) (and because I got my best time) :)
Tell Clint to tell Randy how much fun he had running a half with you so that maybe Randy will be motivated to run one with me someday...;)
Post a Comment