I'm not mad or annoyed at Clint today. Really, I'm not. I was just thinking though, that this is my journal (kind of), and if I want my kids to be able to read it one day and know what mom was thinking that I don't want to sugar coat things. And--Clint gets lots of
bday posts and other
positive things said about him from me, so I'm allowed to talk about the things that drive me absolutely crazy, right? He knows I love him. Plus he never actually reads this, so he'll never know. (right, Shari??) :) So before I put a new post on here to hide this one, let me tell you how my Mother's day really went. I woke up Sunday morning in a cranky mood. Before Clint even rolled over, I knew I'd be mad at him--because he'd forget that it was Mother's Day. My day. We've been married almost four years, and he has yet to learn that I LIKE BIRTHDAYS, I LIKE MOTHER'S DAY, I LIKE
CHRISTMAS, AND I EVEN LIKE VALENTINE'S DAY. That's right--even V-day. Not that I need some big to-do, but
acknowledgement and a little special treatment isn't too much to ask for, right? I think my dad spoiled me because he is Mr. Romantic and Mr. Thoughtful with a capital M. He spoils my mom like crazy on special days; and when we lived at home he spoiled us girls, too. We had special one on one birthday outings, and valentine's chocolate's from SEE'S candies (our favorite) delivered especially for us. When we each got married, he picked out a special piece of jewelry not just for the bride, but for all of his girls. See? Very thoughtful and romantic. Now I LOVE my hubby. Love him to pieces. But he is about 99.9% opposite of my dad in that aspect. For the past three birthday's I've had with him, it's been a pack of
Oreo's. Double stuffed, too-which I hate and he loves. For Mother's Day, he rolled out of bed and pulled a scrap piece of paper from the computer and scribbled a little "I love you" message. The note was sweet, so I shouldn't complain. But I am. I had asked him Saturday night to let me sleep in and to get Sage up and fed on his own. Did that happen? NOPE. I couldn't have woken him up if the house was on fire. So--I got up and got going. Then he asks if I want him to make me breakfast. Which sounds nice, right? Until he adds..."I can make you an
Eggo waffle". Uh, no thanks. So I start making bacon and eggs. He asks, "want me to make the eggs? You'll have to stay in here and show me how, but I'll do it". Um, what? You're 30. You know how to make eggs. So that's pretty much how it went. I did get a
Twix at church though, and I did not share. (well, just a little bit. but mostly I ate it.)
Now...other things that drive me bananas: He has zero desire to carry on a phone conversation. Normally this doesn't bother me, because I'm not much of a phone talker either, but on days when Sage has just thrown up all over my brand new van and I need a little hubby encouragement-it would be nice to get something other than, "
ok well I got a call coming in" from him. I mean--let them leave a message and call them back after you've talked to your wife for two seconds. Next--he is the KING of unfinished projects. I should be more sympathetic with this, because he works long hours and has little time to do things around the house; but I'm not. I can't stand having things left undone. Remember how Sage's room took a year to complete? Well we JUST got the outlets in there covered this weekend. I've been begging him for months to cover them, b/c Sage loves to play in there, and I would've done it myself, but he had to cut them to fit and drill new holes. Our latest project has been our backyard landscaping. It's been two long months since we started and it still isn't done. Getting there, but not done. He was supposed to be out working on a planter the other day; and when I went to bring him a drink, this is what I found:

Getting a lot done. I won't even show you the picture I took of our side yard,
because it makes me want to cry. It's awful. Last year I organized his storage shed and cleaned everything up. I went out this morning with the intent of doing that again and just walked back into the house. The job was too daunting, especially when I know that things will just get thrown back there and made messy again. He's not the most organized person in the world. Maybe that's why they say
opposites attract, who knows. I do love Clint. He has some crazy quirks--like reading The Constitution of the United States of America over and over again when he is in the bathroom--but that's what makes him Clint and it's why I love him. I want Sage and baby #2 (still not sure on a name) to know that I love their daddy so much and appreciate how hard he works for our family. We have our ups and downs just like every other mom and dad, but at the end of the day I'm so glad I have him and am so grateful for everything about him.
10 comments:
That's hysterical! You gave me a good laugh :-).
Oh my gosh you are so much nicer than me! At least you ended on a happy note!!
OMG...ours husbands are exactly the same. My mothers day...not great. Notice I posted nothing. as for our house stuff getting done. I have given up, and have told him to just do whatever he wants.
Ok this makes me laugh! As much as I love Clint, you would think with 4 years of all these holidays, something would stick! It sounds like you tell him what you want, so next time you need to throw a tantrum :) Maybe he'll at least do a make up day or something.
You are so funny Marianne!
LOL! Oh, I know these Overton men aren't very romantic, and you definitely didn't marry someone like your dad! :)
They do it their own way, though, and I know that Clint and Joe will take care of us, no matter what. I think Clint will learn, but you might have to tell him you don't like the Oreos... I think he thinks there is some special memory associated with them...?
I guess you'll have to count your car and I'll have to count my laptop, even though they weren't "Mother's Day gifts" per se...
I just go shopping with Joe now and let him know what I want - that way he doesn't have to struggle with surprising me and I don't have to struggle with wearing/using something I really don't like. But, that's after 30+ years.
I was smiling through this whole post. 1st off, love you Marianne for saying what's really on your mind. 2nd.. you are not alone! Pretty sure this is how most guys are. The key for us is communication. After a year and a half of just being disappointed with all the special days being forgotten and getting little scribbled "i love you, happy ___!" at the end of each "special" occasion, I finally just started telling Port weeks or days ahead of time what was coming up and what would make happy. He's seriously improved, but there are still times I wanna kick him. :) I think we're suppose to learn to laugh it off. Good luck, mamma!! Sorry for the novel!
Sterling = Clint. No kidding. That's about all I got on Mother's Day...a piece of recycled construction paper that said "Happy Mother's Day." Wahoo. However, he did wake up and clean my downstairs for me yesterday. That made up for it...although I still have the poop-brown bathroom from two years ago that he still hasn't repainted.
We couldn't have asked for better husbands...they mean well. :)
HA! This is hilarious! My mothers day was also a bad one. We were moving all day saturday and on sunday I got to get up at 6:30 with two kids while Andrew slept in until 9! Grantite, he did do pretty much all of the moving the day before...but still. Then we got to go to Cracker Barrell for breakfast...which is in the top five of my least favorite places and wait for 2 hours to eat and then deal with cranky kids for the entire meal! Yea, not my ideal of the perfect mothers day! However, Andrew did let me sleep in last weekend to make up for it, so maybe you need a makeup weekend!
hi marianne: you didn't ask for my advice, so if you don't want to hear what I have to say, just delete me....or close this....or whatever you do to a post on a blog! (you can tell how technilogically advanced I am!)
anyway...after 15 years as a single mother, and about 15 years married to someone who didn't pay attention to what I wanted....I recommend an idea to remedy this situation. pick a day before the major holiday...like the friday before Mother's day, tell Clint you are going shopping, see if he wants to go, but if not, let him keep the kids and you go alone. purchase something you really, really want. save for it in advance if you have to, but get something you really want. wrap it up all pretty...and give it to yourself on the special occassion. make a BIG deal about it, telling Clint how much you love it, how happy you are to have received it...blah, blah, blah. one of two things will happen after a couple of years of this. Clint will realize he's dropping the ball on this and will start doing the shopping and gifting. OR...and this is more likely....you'll feel better because you get a few gifts you really want, as opposed to the Oreos...and the disappointment will become less and less.
Let me remind you of one thing though. As long as you have a worthy priesthood holder who loves you and works to provide for you and your family, you really have the very best gift in the world. and yes, I remember the frustration and hurt of feeling neglected on those special occassions. but in the big scheme of things, you wouldn't want to trade your sweet husband for all the gifts in the world!
you're a super mom, a wonderful wife, and a terrific person. you've always amazed me with your very strong personality and capabilities, and your sweet and loving spirit. don't let little things put a wedge between you two over the years. it's not worth it. I promise!
love you,
debbie macdonnell
Post a Comment